1.22.2008

Fragments and Thoughts

Below, you will find a number of little poems, or thoughts, or fragments of thoughts that have passed through my mind recently. I wrote them down in random places, and decided to collect them here, lest I forget them entirely.

I've been having a lot of vivid dreams lately. I can't explain them; I can't really even remember most of them very clearly. As with most dreams, I am left with ghosts and flashes -- like the colors that shimmer in the blackness behind your eyelids when you close them tightly -- when I finally shake free of them and awake. They fade like a dream is supposed to fade.

But what I do seem to remember are their formal qualities. They are thick, and saturated with color. There is a weight to these dreams. When I am submerged in them, I hear ambient sounds, I feel the things around me. I can smell the food in front of me. I feel the heat from a person's hand. I have memories, actual thoughts within the dream, that guide me. It is hard to come away from.

So I've been thinking a lot recently about the plane on which dreams exist. Mostly it is invisible, ethereal, like watching a story unfold in the infinitely thin surface of the water as it ripples and bends. But sometimes, it seems to me, you are able to plunge your whole face down into the pool and watch the scene as it was meant to be seen.

And sometimes you dive in head first, and become one the players.

No comments: