3.28.2009

Photography At f/1.8, or "How To Distract Yourself From A Serious Neck Injury"


Still Life, with Percocet
.

Today had a distinct high point and low point. The high point was the arrival of my new Nikkor AF F/1.8D portrait lens, which operates in an exceedingly friendly way with my new Nikon D80 D-SLR. After months of hemming and hawing, I finally sold my Olympus to a friend here in Boston and dove headfirst into the world of Ebay in all its glory. The camera arrived maybe two weeks ago, followed up by some filters and a memory card. So I cannot begin to describe how excited I am that, with the F/1.8's arrival, my new photography kit is now complete.

The low point of the day was the grievous neck injury I incurred while attempting the Atlas balance during rehearsal at the YMCA this morning. After some serious pain and two prolonged black-outs -- my thanks to Jeremy for catching me both times before I pitched into the bathroom wall -- I got strapped to an orange plastic backboard and loaded into an ambulance. The CT scan showed that I didn't do any serious damage to the vertebrae or spinal column; still, it's likely that I tore a few muscles and/or ligaments along the left side of my neck and that I won't be doing a great deal of flipping, spinning, or really much of anything in the near future. All things considered, it could have been a lot worse. So I'm thankful for that, I suppose.

But I don't understand how people can get addicted to drugs like Percocet; in my mind, it will forever be associated with the excruciating pain shooting up between my shoulder blades, and why would I want to remind myself of that?

4 comments:

Su said...

ditto on the percocet, except apply the pain to my knee. Also after taking it for a week, I started getting hangovers whenever I came down off of it.

Feel better buddy!

~ Jamie ~ said...

ouch! :( we missed you at spinjam on sunday...and probably will be missing you at spinjam today too..... Hope it heals quickly!

Mike said...

My compassionate side wishes you a speedy recovery.

My dangerously curious side wants to see you tackle the Cockney puzzle on Percocet.

Unknown said...

Aw man! That's no good at all. I hope it feels better soon, and that you can get back to being as flippy and spinny as you want to be.

I'm with you on the Percocet. The only time I've taken it (post-wisdom teeth) it made me feel like a robot who couldn't connect even with an inanimate object. I like having a personality, thanks.