2.14.2008

Life Update: 2/14/08

I have come to realize that this blog doesn't have really anything about my actual life on it. Cartoons, yes. Real life, no. So I'mma start trying to post little journal entries when I don't have anything else to post. (That is, when something interesting has happened. Most of the time, I'm a lethargic slug--not particularly news-worthy).

Off we go: Last night I had my first of what I hope will be many single-serve theater jobs in Philly. I found a post on the Theater Alliance of Philadelphia webserv for some guy named Todd looking for a light/sound board op for a two-night performance at the Shubin Theater on Bainbridge St. It was a series of one-act staged readings, and so promised to be simple. I called him up, he told me to show up early to go over the scripts, and that was that.

Well, nearly. Tuesday it snowed and sleeted and was generally gross, and after driving downtown -- which took almost 3 times longer than normal because of weather and traffic -- I got a call from Todd saying he was stillstuck in NJ, and was canceling the show that night. So I spent another 1 1/2 hours driving home. Tons of fun.

Fortunately the next night was clearer, and all went smoothly. The job proved easy enough, (mostly a "lights up, lights down" sort of thing), and Todd ended up paying me for both nights, which was very nice of him. I hung out afterwards with Todd and a few of the younger actor-types, (some students, some no-longer-students-because-we're-full-time-actors-now), and he gave me the leftover wine as a sort of tip. Which worked out fine for me.

So I earned some money last night, plus made a great contact, (Todd often does little shows in that space, and also is planning a Fringe Festival show, and he said I was good people and that he'd call me for the next show). Plus, I'm looking forward to a little PEX Heart/Burn action this weekend, so I'm feeling pretty good at the moment.

I'm sure next week I'll feel like a useless slug again. But for now, I'm good.

And hungry. Time to go raid the fridge. Tally-ho!

1 comment:

Nekkid Ape said...

There's something deeply satisfying about putting your 4 year, $160,000 degree to use in a real world situation.